Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Record Of A Failed Attempt

A few years ago I tried to write a short book about my travels abroad. I found a few excerpts in my sent box that I emailed to friends to get feedback. And yes, I keep a lot of emails.
"A mandatory-guided tour was the only way to see the castle interiors and the only thing I learned from taking it is how much I despise mandatory-guided tours. And just my luck, I got in with a seniors sight seeing tour so it took twice as long to get through. Even seeing an old guy almost fall into the first documented indoor toilet hardly soothed my irritation."

"After a while he asked, 'What land you come from? Do you speak Belgian? Do you speak Netherland? What’s your name? I am Kosovo.' Then he asked, 'Do you have home?'

I said, 'Yes in the US, not here.'

After a very long silence, which also occurred between every other question he said, 'Ok sorry. I go now. Sorry, sorry.' I wasn’t sure what to say. After a small pause he said, 'Sorry. Do you have telephone number?'

I actually felt my eyes widen and I thought yes. Yes I do. And I’ll give it you so you can call and we can not talk since we have no common mean of verbal communication. But instead I just said no."

Is it any wonder why I'm not a famed travel writer?

3 Comments:

  • I must say the guided tour of the Vatican with adorable Kiwi Anthony seemed well worth our Euros, dontchathink? - snix

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:30 PM  

  • Actually, it is. You've captured the awkwardness of the situation quite well.

    By Blogger Some Guy, At 11:46 AM  

  • I would totally buy your book.

    By Blogger Coaster Punchman, At 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home