Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It'll Last Longer And You Won't Embarrass Yourself In The Middle Of The Supermarket

When my parents were married in 1965, it was cause for controversy. A buk buk and a haole? Insanity! They were stared at wherever they went, to the point where my father became so paranoid he started walking ahead so people wouldn’t think they were together. He stopped doing this when he lost my mother one too many times because she refused to “follow her man". There’s a woman ahead of her time right there...which is ironic because she sent me to college so I’d have a degree “to fall back on” should something happen and I’d need to support myself. She was almost there.


One day while food shopping, a woman was so captivated by my parents she walked into a giant display of toothpaste boxes, spilling them everywhere across the floor. My mother simply looked at her and actually said, “you should have just taken a picture.”

*Not my actual parents. Not even close representations of my actual parents. ‘Mixed couple’ does not bring up a variety of photos to choose from in google images. This was one of about 2 pictures with an Asian in it. The other one was unacceptable.

2 Comments:

  • I was going ask whether we've come a long way, but then I figured the answer would just upset me.

    By Blogger Moderator, At 6:34 PM  

  • Given your striking beauty, it would not be outside the realm of possiblity to assume these two are your parents. Oh and I love your new song. There, that is enough flattery to get you through the weekend ;)
    -snix

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home