Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Childhood Things

Before my parents retired and moved down south, my mother's ebay addiction took a turn. For once, instead of buying boxes of crap from other people's garage sales to sell, she began emptying her own house. If only I had known...
A couple years ago I asked her where that little statue of the goat boy was.

"Pan?" she said. "Oh I sold him on ebay before we left."

"You what?" my brother and I shouted in unison.

"Why?"

"I wanted that!" we both shouted in unison again.

"What? That thing? It was awful looking!"

"But you painted it!"

"That's why you want it?"

"Yes of course!" (That and it was a statue of Pan! Hello!)

"What else have you sold?" I asked. "The vase with the Asian face on it that used to scare me?"

"Sold."

"The warrior?"

"Sold."

"That black velvet painting of a naked lady I used to tell everyone was you?"

"Sold."

"The caribou?"

"That's in your father's room."

"That one's mine."

"Nooo! Fine. I want the brass mama and baby duck."

"I think I still have that somewhere."

"You better! I told you I wanted that LOOOONG ago!"

"What about the horrible ballerina head from Rita?"

"No! I've tried to sell that 3 times! No one wants it!"

"Surprise. Why don't you accidentally drop it?"

"Rita had horrible taste, but she had expensive horrible taste! It's worth too much!"

Oh mom. How could you sell Pan without telling us? We lectured her on how she was not to sell any more of our childhood memories without first getting our approval. This year I'm going to go around the house and take pictures of all the items I want. Morbid? Possibly. But mom's ebay addiction is still strong so I must take note. Last year I made sure to get the monkey statue in all the Christmas pictures just in case it was gone this year.

Next week...it's a full on treasure hunt.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • It could be worse. She could be a hoarder who buys things on ebay. Look up that ebay mom on Google.

    By Blogger Coaster Punchman, At 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home