Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Where Is The Asia In wISterIA?



Ok, so BukBuks aren't really on the American pop culture scene (obviously excluding 1/6 of Lou Diamond Philips and 1/2 of Rob Schneider), but even our Asian brothers and sisters are on the scarce side. There is definitely a small presence: let's see...Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Bionic Woman, Heroes etc but what can I say? I need more.

In particular I think it's time for some Asians to move onto Wisteria Lane. I mean, there was the African-American family with a dark secret. The alleged pedophile who had a handicapped sister with a dark secret. And the newest gay couple, who may or may not have a dark secret since Dana Delany and that guy from Firefly seem to have more than one.

Anyway, if I could name any famous Flips, I'd rally for their face time, but I can't so I've decided to narrow the absolutely enormous pot of Asian actors, known in the US to keep viewership up of course, down to a hopeful few. ABC, please note for consideration as the next seasons' new guest stars.

Grace Park and Chow Yun Fat could be the May-December couple from New York with a dark secret. That Asian chick (omg! She's part Buk!) from Knocked Up could be Chow Yun's daughter from a previous marriage. Boy can she giggle. But I guess she was supposed to be high all the time so it was appropriate.

Margaret Cho and that Asian woman who guest stars in every big tv show could play the strange Asian sisters from Georgia with a dark secret. That Asian chick from Harold and Kumar could be their brilliant niece from Princeton...oh wait.

Kelly Hu (She's part Buk Too!!) and Daniel Dae Kim could play the sweet but secretive couple from San Francisco with a dark secret. Who doesn't love a hot Asian couple?

Jackie Chan could move in with his elderly parents who do not speak a word of English. They do not have a dark secret, but somehow they know all of yours.

The next step is to cast an interracial couple, with a child! Imagine the press you'd get!! I'd be more than happy to offer up myself and my parents as guinea pigs! Perhaps you could even base a whole show on their lives! I promise America is ready for the next All-American Girl. Call me!

4 Comments:

  • Fantastic. I miss you. And your dark secrets.

    By Blogger wonderturtle, At 12:21 PM  

  • So for the record, two shows I ADORE right now have Asian representation: Men In Trees (mail order Asian bride - but sassy and funny) and ... Gossip Girl - two asian sidekick snotty girls. I think there is another but I'm forgetful right now. -snix

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:57 PM  

  • I think Phoebe Cates, whom you look like,(who you look like? I'm an English teacher, I really should know this shit) should be a desperate housewife.

    By Blogger lulu, At 9:27 PM  

  • omyGAD how did i miss phoebe cates??? i just looked her up! she's a bukbuk too! and of the SAME ancestry as me! Filipina of Spanish-Chinese ancestry!! I can't stop exclamating! she would PERFECT!

    By Blogger hapabukbuk, At 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home