Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Monday, December 11, 2006

What was I thinking? Vol. 11

Sucks for you.

While awaiting a train to New England in the gigantic fire trap that is NY Penn Station, I noticed that a few trains traveling south were delayed. A woman walked up and stood beside me to see the screen that displayed train status and gates. When the letters CANCELLED popped up next to the train she was apparently taking, she immediately began to throw the adult version of a tantrum.

“How can they dooo that? How can they just cancel a train?!!”

I turned my head toward her and gave a half smile, an unconscious effort I suppose at sympathy because I used to take that same commuter train every day. I understood her situation.

I realize now a half smile was an inappropriate offering.

“You don’t care do you? You don’t even give a damn!” she practically spat at me.

Well...you were pretty much right up until the moment you actually said it. Now I care because it means I have to deal with you for the next 20 minutes muttering about the train being cancelled because the conductors were "probably drunk". Awesome.

After some more stomping around, glaring at other commuters until someone agreed with her and loudly telling the mouthpiece of her cellphone just how large an idiot the collective company of NJ Transit is, she finally moved out of earshot.

Remind me to keep my incorrect sympathetic facial expressions to myself.

2 Comments:

  • Don't make eye contact. You should never make eye contact.

    By Blogger wonderturtle, At 8:37 PM  

  • You should never wave at people you don't know, because what if they don't have a hand?

    Then you'll look cocky.

    Look what I got, mother*, this thing is useful. I'm going to go pick something up.

    - Mitch Hedberg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home