Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Monday, January 14, 2008

My Mother's Treasures Pt 2

These are the ones I remember fondly or should want because they are akin to family heirlooms due to their age:


The wooden calendar was in my father's "office", or small room off the front hall filled to the brim with every single magazine he subscribed to going back to 1970, every encyclopedia set he purchased (there was more than one), and every CD, tape, vinyl record and piece of stereo equipment to play them on he owned. No one ever changed the date but me and I only did it every 2 years. (It now sits on a shelf in front of one of his sets of encyclopedias that surprisingly made it to Florida.)


This was also in my father's "office" and I loved it. I knocked it off the pedestal many times trying to rock it too hard. There's something very soothing in the teetering of a metal stick figure on a horse with big balls for hoofs. (Pictured here now also in front of yet another set of encyclopedias.) I often wonder if my dad had any part in the decor of his "office".


These three figurines, another picture my mother told me I should take, are old. I mean early twentieth century old. Apparently one was owned by my grandmother, another by a great aunt and the third by a great uncle. Which belonged to who (whom? - sorry, too lazy too look it up) was not discussed...Weird! I just had a memory flash of this little glass case in my grandparent's old apartment in which these three figurines sat for years. Or at least the cat. I kinda sorta remember the cat.


The coi. I can't remember a time this was not on the wall. Which wall is what escapes me now. Was it in the downstairs bathroom? Was it over my father's bureau in my parents' bedroom? Quite possibly both at one time or another? It was just always there. Every day. A little piece of Asian decor that survived the great Native American refurnish of '88.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home