Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Violent Impatience

Though my friends would disagree, I am not a violent person. Listen, it’s all bark and no bite. I promise. But the other day I had to internally calm myself down or I think I might have actually kicked someone. Hard.

I ran down to the post office around 4pm to mail one thing. The line at the self-help mailbox had a few people on it, but not too bad. In taking my time to prepare my own priority envelope, two more people got on line despite the fact that I was standing very close to it. Whatever.

I looked up the line and realized 3 out of the 4 people standing in front of me had multiple packages. This immediately irritated me because this was supposed to be a quick way to mail things, not take your time weighing packages and lollygagging. The guy mailing 2 things stepped aside and the girl mailing 5 stepped up. It was OBVIOUSLY her first time using the machine and I wanted to push her out of the way to do it myself. Each package was placed gently on the scale, then she looked back and forth to double check the input of zip codes as she typed on the screen, then placed them gently on the floor next to her after the postage was dispensed 5 minutes later.

Each beep of information she typed was like a drop of Chinese water torture on my forehead. I started to become fidgety which I’m sure the woman behind me didn’t appreciate. The workday was marching on without me. This was supposed to have taken 10 minutes at most.

I wanted to jump up and down on all her nice, pretty packages.

She finally finished her business and the next woman in line self-helped her two packages. It was less time than the woman before but it still felt like an hour. The woman in front me had 2 envelopes and it made me happy until I realized they were her taxes and she was going to buy insurance and confirmation and all that other crap the PO gets you to buy.

I wanted to scream.

When it was my turn, it literally took me 2 minutes to complete my transaction and I was on my way. During that time however, the 5 package girl was told by a Postal worker that none of her packages would get where they were going because she didn’t use the machine properly. I felt pity for a moment before it hit me that she not only wasted my time with her shenanigans, but she wasted it for no reason.

And I wanted to kick her. Hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home