Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Alcotard

"The commonest abnormal reaction to alcohol is seen in persons from an oriental background, who get flushing, increased heart rate, and symptoms of reduced blood pressure. This is sometimes referred to as 'oriental flushing syndrome'. Approximately 50% of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are deficient in ALDH, [the enzyme which metabolises alcohol] and this has been reported to be protective against the development of alcoholism."
-www.foodreactions.org

If I break it down, I am approximately 1/4 Chinese. If I am deficient in ALDH, which any of my friends can attest to being true, shouldn't this mean I'm only 1/4 deficient?

There are many, many, many kinds of alcohol out there. Why then, can I only get away with consuming a splash of top shelf, and only top shelf vodka with cranberry juice without getting a hangover before I finish the drink?

Because I have expensive taste and psychosomatic ability when it works in my favor.

That's why.

PS. That's oriental background by the way. As well as flushing syndrome, which I've never heard in my life and I grew up around quite a few orientals. Apparently I was born of a rug and have an OCD problem with toilets. But at least I'll never be an alcoholic.

3 Comments:

  • HA! I was thinking that PS from the start! Damn foodreactions.org. Do they also still think that homosexuality is a disease and most women suffer from 'hysteria'?

    By Blogger wonderturtle, At 2:53 PM  

  • Oriental Flushing Syndrome- DAMN! All this time - how could we NOT have known?!?!?!?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:48 PM  

  • They could have put you on the "Avenue Q" soundtrack. Oh, and I guess this resolves my suggestion of appletinis to replace your milk fix. How about soy milk with some Nestle Quik for good measure?

    By Blogger Coaster Punchman, At 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home