Musings of a Hapabukbuk

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Once One, Always One?

Is being a thief like being an alcoholic?

“Even when they’re dry as my lips for years. Even when they’re stranded on a small desert island with no place within 2000 miles to buy beer.” –Ani D.


I have stolen exactly two things in my entire life. The first was a little rubber ball from a gumball type quarter machine when I was ten. It didn’t occur to me that I had committed a crime until I showed my mother and she asked if I had paid for it. I shook my head no and she said, “Well then you stole it.” I spent the next ten minutes guiltily trying to shove the ball back up into the machine.

The second was a martini glass from a bar I went to a few years ago on a day that I was angry. I was just so angry. The decision to wipe the glass dry and slip it into my purse was intentional and clear headed. The drink was overpriced anyway so I figured we were even, me and bar. I feel no guilt over this one.

According to Merriam-Webster Online a thief is: one that steals especially stealthily or secretly; also: one who commits theft or larceny.

I choose to use the former definition as it is in present tense and therefore no longer applies to me. I’ll sleep better.

2 Comments:

  • You know you have a problem if you shove a set of 4 matching pint glasses into your backpack so that you may keep them chilled in your own freezer for the guests. And by guests I mean yourself and your small handful of beer-loving personalities.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:29 PM  

  • I stole a small plastic fan from a crafts/hardware store when I was small, and cherished it like a Faberge egg. I think I thought that if anyone saw it, they would KNOW. I may still think that.

    By Blogger wonderturtle, At 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home